Mechanisms regulating reproduction and development in vertebrate animal models; comparative reproductive endocrinology and fertility; reproductive physiology in teleosts; endocrine regulation of viviparity; evaluation of candidate species for mariculture; marine teleost larval rearing technology; development of novel microparticulate diets for marine larvae.
Visiting Research Fellowship, Nuffield Unit of Comparative Endocrinology, Department of Zoology, University of Hong Kong, 1972 and 1974; Director, Central Vivarium, UCSB, 1982-87; Visiting Professorship, Department of Zoology, University of Hong Kong, 1988 and 1989-90; Consultant for Office of Naval Research on Endocrine Biotechnology and its Application to Fish Culture in Japan, 1992; UC Education Abroad Program Faculty Exchange Scholar, Department of Zoology, University of Singapore, 1994; Shaw College Fellowship, Chinese University of Hong Kong, 1996; UC Systemwide Education Abroad Program, Oversight Committee and Program Reviewer, 1998-present; Chair of the Review Panel on the University of California Education Abroad Program in China for the Universitywide Office Education Abroad Program University of California (UOEAP), 2000; External Examiner for masters and doctoral degrees for Hong Kong University and the Chinese University of Hong Kong, present.
Meetings and Workshops
International Union of Biological Sciences, International Symposium on Reproductive Biology in Aquaculture, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, 1991; International Symposium on the Reproductive Physiology of Fish, Austin, Texas, 1995; International Symposium on Progress and Prospect of Marine Biotechnology, Quingdao, China, 1998; International Symposium on Advanced Biochemical and Molecular Approaches to Seabream Aquaculture and its Impact on the Environment, Eiliat, Israel, 1998; Fifth International Congress of Comparative Physiology and Biochemistry, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, 1999; Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Reproduction, Madison, Wisconsin, 1999; PACON 2000, The Ninth Pacific Congress on Marine Science and Technology, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2000; Workshop to Identify Needed Socioeconomic Studies Associated with Marine Activities in Central California, California Sea Grant College Program and UC Cooperative Extension, Watsonville, California, 2002; World Aquaculture 2002, International Aquaculture Conference and Exposition of the World Aquaculture Society and China Society of Fisheries, Beijing, China, 2002.
Collaborative Research Programs
Department of Biology and Marine Sciences Institute, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin New Territories, Hong Kong, PRC (sea bream culture); The Ocean Resources Enhancement and Hatcheries Program, Hubbs-Sea World Research Institute, California (white sea-bass culture); Department of Biology, University of Victoria, Canada (brain regulation of reproduction in rockfish and herring); The Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture, Weymouth, United Kingdom (gonadal function in rockfish).
- Collins P.M., Chaillé P.M., Tsang W.N. (2007). The maternal hormonal environment during embryonic development and adaptation in nearshore rockfish (Sebastes spp.). In: Viviparous Fishes II, the proceedings of the III International Symposium on Viviparous Fishes, H.J.Grier and M. del C. Uribe (eds), New Life Publications, Homestead, Florida (Invited Chapter).
- Tsang W.N., Chaillé P.M. and Collins P.M. (2007). Growth and reproductive performance of cultured nearshore rockfish. Aquaculture (In press).
- Collins P.M., Tsang W.N. and Urbanski H.F. (2007). Endocrine correlates of reproductive development in the male tree-shrew and the effects of infantile exposure to exogenous androgens. Endocrinology (in press).
- Collins P.M., Moore R.K., Chaillé P.M. and Tsang W.N., Scott A.P. and Sherwood N. (2006). Regulation of pregnancy in a viviparous rockfish, Sebastes rastrelliger. 15th International Conference on Comparative Endocrinology. Boston, Massachusetts, USA. J. Exp. Zool., 305:118.
- Collins P.M. (2004). Assesment of the reproductive potential of nearshore rockfish and the impact of environmental conditions. California Sea Grant College Program. Research Completion Reports. http://repositories.cdlib.org/csgc/rcr/Fisheries04_04
- Collins P.M., Moore R.K., Chaillé P.M. and Tsang W.N. (2004). Endocrine mechanisms regulating pregnancy and parturition in a nearshore rockfish (Sebastes rastrelliger). 6th Asia-Pacific Marine Biotechnology Conference, Asia Pacific Society of Marine Biotechnology, Zhoushan, P.R. China.
- Delo L.J., Moore R.K., Tsang W.N., Woo N.Y.S. and Collins P.M. (2002). Proceedings of World Aquaculture 2002, International Aquaculture Conference and Exposition of the World Aquaculture Society and China Society of Fisheries, Beijing, China. 178.
- Collins P.M., O'Neill D.F., Barron B.R., Moore R.K. and Sherwood N.M. (2001). Gonadotropin-releasing hormone content in the brain and pituitary of male and female grass rockfish (Sebastes rastrelliger) in relation to seasonal changes in reproductive status. Biol. Reprod. 65:173-179.
- Woo N.Y.S., Deane E.E., Kelly S.P. and Collins P.M. (2001). Changes in hormonal and Na+-K+-ATP-ase expression during early development of sea bream larvae. Proceedings of 14th International Congress on Endocrinology, Sorrento, Italy. In: Perspective in Comparative Endocrinology, Monduzzi Editore, Bologna, Italy.