Tenured Professor of Marine Science and Director of Marine Science Institute – UC Santa Barbara
The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) invites applications for the position of Associate Professor to Full Professor of Marine Science and Director of the Marine Science Institute (MSI) with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2022. The MSI is an organized research unit that operates outside of the established academic teaching departments at UCSB and promotes innovative research as well as education outreach activities spanning 14 disciplines. The MSI administers greater than $86 million in extramural and intramural funds in over 400 projects and education outreach programs. The MSI is housed in the picturesque Marine Science Research Building (MSRB) on the UCSB campus overlooking the Santa Barbara Channel. This modern facility includes 35,230 ft2 of laboratory and office space that houses the research and administrative needs of the MSI.
The successful candidate is expected to advance the research enterprise of the MSI across a broad front of activities, while continuing their own internationally recognized, extramurally funded research program, mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, participating in ongoing graduate and undergraduate teaching programs, and participating effectively in other university service and professional activities. The successful candidate will be broadly trained with interdisciplinary experience in areas including but not limited to oceanography (biological, chemical, physical or geological); marine ecology; marine biogeochemistry; or the ocean’s role in climate and have teaching interests that are aligned with the curriculum of the Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Marine Science (IGPMS).
UCSB is particularly interested in applicants who have made and will continue to make significant contributions to marine science and who have demonstrated successful leadership and development skills. As the MSI Director, the candidate is expected to foster an environment that inspires collaborations across a broad spectrum of researchers and departments and participate in outreach and fundraising activities. In addition, the Director will lead and oversee contracts and grants generated by this organized research unit, and manage MSI’s space and facilities. The Director will have a permanently tenured faculty position in an appropriate academic department at UCSB. The appointment as MSI Director is for five years and is renewable for an additional five-year period. The MSI Director’s position comes with some teaching release and a stipend.
Applications should be submitted electronically, and must include:
- Curriculum Vitae - Please submit a complete CV including full publication, funding, and mentorship records
- Statement of Research- describe your top 3 research contributions, as well as your vision for how your research program would fit in marine sciences at UCSB (1-2 pages)
- Statement of Teaching and Mentorship - Describe your pedagogical values and methods, your record of mentorship, and what courses (undergraduate & graduate) you might teach at UCSB (1-2 pages)
- Statement of Administrative Experience and vision for marine science on campus (Discuss your top three administrative accomplishments and the vision you have for the MSI and marine science at UCSB) (1-2 pages) • Statement of Contributions to Diversity addressing past and/or potential contributions to diversity through research, teaching, and service (1-2 pages)
- Submit 3 publications that best highlight the impact of your contribution to the field
- Applicants will need to provide contact information for 3 - 4 references
The University is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and service as appropriate to the position. Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at UC Santa Barbara. Our excellence can only be fully realized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Applications received by March 19, 2022 will be given priority consideration, but the position will remain open until filled.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.